Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Friendly Pharmacist

That next weekend I went to my pharmacist to refill my prescription for methotrexate.  I handed my prescription to the pharmacy tech, who kindly dispensed the pills and packaged them to be rung up.  He said, "Do you have any questions about these?"  I replied, as I handed him my credit card.  "Yes, the doctor said something about taking these with a dairy product.  Or maybe she said don't take dairy with these.  Do you know anything about that?"  The technician said, "I don't know about that.  Let me go get the pharmacist and ask him."  

He returned shortly and I restated my problem.  I explained that my doctor is Russian and a little hard to understand because of the accent.  He said, "Oh, I know what you mean.  My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and she went to that same doctor.  It is fine to take dairy with this medication.  If you ask me, Dr. Howen* is the best Rheumatologist in town.  My wife has had arthritis since she was seventeen years old.  She has been to every arthritis doctor in town."  

"Oh, thanks. I may give him a call,"  I whispered.  I collected my packages of pills and turned to leave the store.

*Name was changed to protect privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment