Thursday, May 7, 2015
Herxing With Lyme
What is herxing? The first time that I heard that word, I thought that it sounded made up. Come to think of it, a lot of things about this disease sound pretty impossible. But herxing is a symptom of Lyme disease. The bacteria that cause Lyme disease produce a toxin that is poison to your neurological system. This toxin is especially severe when the bacteria die off during treatment with antibiotics. In other words, when the bacteria die off , you will actually feel more severe pain and other symptoms (in stead of feeling better). This is a temporary condition that may last for several weeks. You may be experiencing new symptoms as the bacteria die off and your body becomes overwhelmed by this toxin overload to your organs.
There are some things that can help your body and lighten this toxin overload. Warm water soaks with a combination of baking soda, Epsom salts, and hydrogen peroxide can ease aching muscles. Fish oil supplements can help tendons, joints, and nerves. Alka-seltzer Gold can neutralize some of the toxic effects and lesson the symptoms. Lemon juice and water first thing in the morning will help with the morning stiffness. A small dose of children's liquid allergy medicine can help with sleep issues as well as with histimines.
For me, this kind of pain was horrible at night. It was excruciating. Just when I wanted to sleep, the pain would get worse. It would often wake me from a sound sleep. In the morning, it was more pain and stiffness. A hot shower brought temporary relief. It took forever to dress myself, and I sometimes needed help just to pull a shirt over my head or put on shoes. I couldn't turn the doorknob to leave the house without help. I was constantly dropping things because my hands would suddenly let go without warning. I felt like a 90 year old lady. I swelled up like a balloon. I had swollen lymph nodes throughout my body. I started to gain weight due to fluid retention. I had cellulite forming on my arms legs and belly due to this toxic build up. My eyes where rimmed in red swelling. My feet swelled and I could barely walk. It felt as if I was dying.
Somehow, I made it through all of that, and now I am improving. I still get tired. I am not completely well or symptom-free yet.