Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Going, Going, Almost Gone!

At my last Lyme doctor visit,  I was asked to assess how close I felt to recovery.  I decided that I feel 90% recovered after just seven months of treatment.  I still have some knee swelling.  The left side of my face is swollen.  I still have ringing in my ears. But all of the pain is gone. Gone!  It took me three years to get the proper diagnosis, so my case of Lyme was quite advanced.  At times, I was in such severe pain that I thought I might die from this disease.  I thought that I might have to retire early and go into a retirement home. But then things gradually changed. Lyme disease improves by centimeters, then inches forward.  You don't realize that you are getting better, until you look back and remember how bad it once was a few months ago.  I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. I know that many suffer in agonizing pain for years.  Some people never quite recover completely.  And sadly, some do not make it.

My advice is to keep trying.  Don't give up. Take care of you for once.  All of the little things that you can do to get better add up to something big.  Eat right, take all of your medicine on schedule, get plenty of rest, and eventually you will turn a corner for the better.  I read somewhere that you should be willing to try anything to get better (within reason), because you never know when something will be the key that unlocks the door to Lyme disease.  I think that is sound advice.

1 comment:

  1. Do you feel pressure to get better from a co-worker, boss, friend, or relative? How do you handle this?

    ReplyDelete